I never thought about using cantaloupe in baking before until I found this recipe for Cantaloupe Bread. It looked good and I love pecans so I decided to make it. The recipe makes two loaves and is easy to do. I gave one loaf to my neighbor and it was a hit. I almost think I like this better than Banana Bread. Try this I think you will really like it. You can freeze cantaloupe puree to make in off season also.
Adapted recipe and photos by Miss Kates Cookbook
Original Recipe by Cooksrecipes.com
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups granulated sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ripe cantaloupe
Preheat oven to 325F (160C). Grease two 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- In large bowl combine the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and nuts.
- In another large bowl beat the eggs until light and frothy. Add the oil, sugar and vanilla, mixing well.
- Cut the rind from cantaloupe; and cut the melon into 2-inch chunks. Puree in blender or food processor until smooth. Measure 2 cups puree and add to the egg/oil mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the cantaloupe mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Spoon into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, or until it tests done. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool on a wire rack.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe - Miss Kates Cookbook